UPDATE ON BOTSWANA VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
The Government of Botswana has introduced an online visa application system, e-visa. The digital platform was launched on August 12, 2021, allowing foreign visitors to apply for a Botswana visa online. The platform can be accessed at https://evisa.gov.bw
The new platform replaces the old system of applying for visa through Botswana Embassies. That notwithstanding, applicants are allowed to contact the nearest Botswana Embassy if they face challenges with the new system.
Eligible foreign citizens can apply for the e-Visa through the online Botswana visa application form. Once approved, the e–Visa for Botswana will be sent to the email address provided on the form. The holder must then download and print a copy of the approved visa and have a hard copy with them when traveling to Botswana.
Botswana e-Visa Requirements
- A passport from an eligible country valid for at least 6 months validity from the intended date of arrival
- A recent passport-type photo of the applicant
- A valid debit/credit card for online payment of the applicable visa fee
- A valid email address to which the approved e-Visa for Botswana may be sent.
- Return or onward ticket
- Flight reservations
- Confirmation of accommodation booking(s) in Botswana
- Travel plans/schedule
- Invitation letter and/or business profile from the host in Botswana
- Meeting schedule (if applicable)
- Certified copies of trade license, certificate of incorporation, etc.
- Proof of right to enter the next destination country (e.g. visa, proof of residence, etc.)
- Cover letter
Botswana visitor visa
- Invitation letter from your host
- Proof of the right to return to the country they arrived from (e.g. visa, proof of residence, etc.)
- Return ticket
- Certified copy of the host’s National Identity Card, Residence Permit, or equivalent
- Certified copies of marriage or birth certificates for spouse or dependants, respectively (if applicable)
Study e-visa applications
- Study permit or approval letter from a registered institution in Botswana
- Letter of admission from a school or institution in Botswana
- Proof of sufficient funds to support oneself
Foreign nationals applying for an employment visa online must provide their work and residence permits or approval letter.
Once the approved visa has been received via email, the traveller is required to print a copy of the e–Visa to present to Immigration Authorities at port of entry.
It may be used to access the country at any port of entry in Botswana.